UPDATE: Our latest update on how estate agents are operating as normal, regardless of what tier the area resides.
As England moved into the next phase of Government restrictions aimed at tackling the Covid-19 pandemic, Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced that England will be introducing a new tier bracket, with tier-4 having the highest level of restrictions.
As our blog earlier this month intimated, the housing market is very much open for business, with estate agents open and physical property viewings allowed with stringent social distancing guidelines in place. Conveyancers and other tradespeople will still be operating also.
After the government issued further restrictions and the introduction of a new tier 4 on 19 December, which includes the majority of the South East of England, Housing Minster Robert Jenrick took to Twitter to confirm it’s business as usual.
He said: “Housing market update: the sales and rental markets remain open in all tiers. All associated activities can continue as before.
“Please follow the Covid-secure guidance. And use your judgment as to whether it’s necessary right now.”
What does this mean?
As was the case during November’s lockdown, the property sector, and estate agents in particular, are very much open for business regardless of what tier your area is in, as it’s deemed as an essential industry by the Government. With this in mind It’s business as normal. However, the following measures are in place, to safeguard both our staff and customer’s safety, regardless of your tier:
- Business as normal regardless of tier, with Covid-secure policies in place, such as face coverings and hand sanitiser
- Initial viewings will be carried out virtually – with physical viewings only taking place if the buyer is seriously considering a purchase.
- All viewings are by appointment only, with agents wearing the relevant PPE and recommending that the owner opens all windows and doors prior to the appointment, and vacates the property whilst the viewing takes place.
- Valuations are still taking place as normal.
- However, virtual valuations are available for those who would prefer these.
- You’re permitted to move home, although those outside an individual bubble should not help with moving property unless absolutely necessary
- Please be mindful that it’s advised that those from a tier 3 and tier 4 areas not to visit lower tiered areas unless absolutely necessary. Track and Trace will be in place at all times. In a Tier 4 area, you must not leave or be outside of their home except for where they have a valid reason, and that includes going to work and moving home
Rest assured, at Douglas Allen safety is our number one priority during this period.
Tier 4 guidance: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-4-stay-at-home