UPDATE: Our latest update on how estate agents are operating as normal, despite the UK going into the Government’s third enforced lockdown.
As England moved into the next phase of Government restrictions aimed at tackling the Covid-19 pandemic, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced that England will be re-entering lockdown, with all but essential services remaining open.
As our blog in December 2020 intimated, the housing market is very much open for business, with estate agents open and physical property viewings allowed, with stringent social distancing guidelines in place. Conveyancers and other tradespeople will still be operating also.
Commenting on the announcement, Group Managing Director, David Lench, said:
“It continues to be a challenging time for everyone. However, the Government considers the housing industry to be critical to the overall economy, hence our ability to continue as long as we work safely and responsibly.”
Covid-19 is serious – so why can the housing market remain open?
As we’ve seen throughout 2020, the Government has deemed the housing market an essential business, due to the intrinsic value it has to the economy.
From keeping open throughout lockdowns, the Stamp Duty Payment Holiday and Help to Buy schemes designated to get first time buyers onto the ladder, for estate agents and the construction industry, it’s been business as normal.
With the UK property worth over £10.3 trillion to the UK economy according to
ONS figures, it’s obvious the huge value in terms of monetary value.
What safety measures are in place?
The following measures are in place, to safeguard both our staff and customer’s safety, regardless of your tier:
- Business as normal, with Covid-secure policies in place, such as face coverings and hand sanitiser
- Initial viewings will be carried out virtually – with physical viewings only taking place if the buyer is seriously considering a purchase.
- All viewings are by appointment only, with agents wearing the relevant PPE and recommending that the owner opens all windows and doors prior to the appointment, and vacates the property whilst the viewing takes place.
- Valuations are still taking place as normal.
- However, virtual valuations are available for those who would prefer these.
- You’re permitted to move home, although those outside an individual bubble should not help with moving property.
- Please be mindful that it’s advised not to travel unless absolutely necessary. Track and Trace will be in place at all times. You must not leave or be outside of their home except for where they have a valid reason, and that includes going to work and moving home.
Rest assured, at Douglas Allen, safety is our number one priority during this period.
For any questions regarding buying and selling during this period, please visit: https://www.douglasallen.co.uk/covid19-faqs/?scrollId=buyers-sellers